- Applying in person: passport (copy acceptable), driver’s license, passport size photo (3.5x4.5cm) or color photo (3x4cm) x 1 (As per standard size)
- Applying by agent: passport (copy acceptable), driver’s license, passport size photo (3.5x4.5cm) or color photo (3x4cm) x 1 (As per standard size), agent ID, Power of Attorney signed
- If submitting a Certificate of the Facts Concerning the Entry & Exit from overseas, you may use a copy of the ID and must know the English name written in the passport
* In the case of a Korean with a Korean passport, the applicable English name could be searched upon consent regarding the shared use of public administrative information
- As for a foreign national with a Korean driver’s license :
Requirements: passport, driver’s license, passport size photo (3.5x4.5cm) or color photo (3x4cm) x 1
- Notwithstanding the valid period on an international driving permit, it may be invalid after 1 year from entering the relevant country according to the international treaty & the relevant legislations.
- In the event of driving with an international permit in most foreign countries such as the USA, etc, you may be punished for driving without a license if you do not bring a Korean driver’s license and passport, hence you should drive with 3 valid documents (ie. International driving permit, Korean driver’s license, and passport).
- In addition, as the scope of the international driving permit may be different pursuant to the Road Traffic Act of the relevant state in countries such as the USA, Canada, etc, you should confirm the driving regulations of the visiting state.
- In the case that the English names of the international driving permit & passport as well as the signatures thereon do not match then the international driving permit becomes invalid.
- During the disqualifying period of a domestic license, one must not drive in Korea with an international driving permit issued overseas. (ie. Relevant provision : Article 96(3) of the Road Traffic Act)
- “International Driving Permit” is only recognized in Korea. (Not allowed to drive with “International Driving License”)
- As Korea is a member of the Geneva Conventions (Click for details), it’s acceptable to drive for 1 year from the date of entry with an international driving permit issued from other members of the Geneva Convention. Furthermore, driving with a valid international permit issued by members of the Vienna Convention (Click for details) has been allowed from January 1st, 2002 and the valid period is the same 1 year from the entry date.
- It is possible to drive in member countries of the Geneva Conventions, using an international driving permit issued by the Korean authority
- It is possible to drive in Korea, using an international driving permit issued by member countries of the Geneva & Vienna Conventions
* Although China is not a member of the Geneva & Vienna Conventions, an international driving permit issued by Hong Kong returned from the UK (July 1st, 1997) & Macao returned from Portugal (December 20th, 1999) is valid according to the Chinese policy of 1 Country 2 Systems, and can be used in Korea the same as before.