Foreign Driver's License & International Driving Permit
Exchange of Foreign Driver’s License
Foreigners with a valid Foreign Driver’s License (confirmed by the respective Consulate and the necessary confirmation documents) who wish to exchange their Foreign Driver’s License for a Korean Driver’s License, can do so by obtaining the required documents and taking the Aptitude Test(Health check) along with a simplified version of the Written Exam (for taking the simplified version compared with the actual version, please refer to the countries that simplified versions apply for). Exchangeable Foreign Driver’s License must still be valid and it must be an official license where temporary, learner, provisional, probationary, permit, certificate, etc. are not acceptable.
|Foreigner. Foreign Citizen||Acknowledged Countries||Not acknowledged Countries|
|Foreigner. Foreign Citizen||
|Korean. Permanent Resident||
- Confirmation document verifying validity of Foreign Driver’s License : must be an official document issued by the respective Consulate or Country Representative Agency either in English or in Korea (applies for countries that are members of the Apostille Agreement)
- no additional notarization is required
- Replacement of an American Driver's license with Korean Driver's license: Due to a policy change activated from January 1, 2013, the American Embassy no longer issues notarization for all recipients including those with the American citizenship. Submit the certificate of the Apostile issued by the licensing authority in your state instead of notarization issued by the American Embassy.
- 2014. 3. 1. UK Embassy in Korea no longer provides notarization. Submit the Apostille instead of notarization issued by the UK Embassy.
- the document must contain information about the issue date and the expiration date and if these information are not required, then an additional document is needed to confirm these dates.
- Expiration date of certification from the embassy is 1 year from the issue date.
(The Apostille is only valid until the notary's commission expiration date.)
- Length of stay : the duration and length of stay at a particular country must be confirmed through the stamps on the passport as well as the Departure/Entry Document issued by the Korean government. (Note. For Koreans and Permanent Residents who did not stay more than 90 days at the particular country of issue, then a Korean Driver’s License will not be exchanged for their Foreign Driver’s License but they may obtain a Korean Driver’s License through the regular application process.
- Please Click Here for the designated size and specifications on the color photo to be provided
- Koreans are defined as persons who comply to Citizenship Regulation Chapter 6.
All regional Examination Offices
Aptitude Test(health check)
You can get your health checked at our Examination offices on site(except Kangllung, Taeback) or at one of our designated hospitals.
- Foreign Driver’s Licenses will only be exchanged to Level 2 (regular) type licenses.
- For other types of Foreign Driver’s License from Belgium, Poland, Spain, and Italy only, the respective similar type of Korean Driver’s License will be issued.
- Representative application is not allowed (application must be done in person)
- For the list of acknowledge countries, please refer to Public Notification 2014.2.23 by the Department of Police (Click Here)
- Please note the list of countries that exchange Korean Driver’s License to their local driver’s licenses : Hong Kong, Taiwan, Guam, etc. (regulations and agreements between countries are constantly evolving so please make a note of the most recent agreements)
- For Foreign Driver’s License from acknowledged countries, only the aptitude test and health check is required.
- For Foreign Driver’s License from not acknowledged countries, aptitude test and simplified Written Exam must be passed (usually 20 multiple-choice questions in English, Chinese or Korean)
- For persons who have a history of every having their driver’s license cancelled, they must take the Traffic Safety Training course for suspensions and cancelations (Click Here)